Timber worktop in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am proposing to fit an inset wash basin in the bathroom. The basin is ceramic, and will sit in / on the worktop like a standard kitchen sink.

Now, the worktop I plan to use will be a large 600x600x18mm peice of pine timberboard stained, varnished & sealed.

For extra strength I plan to glue the timberboard to a 600x600x20mm Marine plywood, (on the underside), finished off with a decroative mouning on the front edge.

Is this suitable? as I am concerned that the pine timberboard warp / distort with it being i a warm, humid environment.

Sponsored Links
properly sealed up you will be ok

i am assuming its "laminated board"as in several thin pieces of about 40mm wide glued together to form the width [wicks call it "timba board"]

and its quite stable because the pieces are laminated curve up curve down curve alternating on the end grain

providing you got 2 continous strips of the laminated wood at the front you shouldnt need any other support except maybee a batton set back about 25 from the front edge
how is it going be supported !!!!!!

It is going to sit on a 600mm base unit, so supports not a problem.

Will probly still glue plywood to the underside...........

.............. if only to support the weight of the crap the 'Er Indoors' keeps!!!

Sponsored Links
what will look better if you have a router is to mitre a frame the same size as the wood so it looks double thickness and the end pieces will help stop any warping then a small moulding along all open edges top and bottom
you may have to remove the front 3mm to remove the rounded edge from the timber board

still say 18 is perfect if properly sealed as the top will be screwed to and supported by a cabinate underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back