building airing cupboard in bathroom - materials to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going ot be building an airing cupboad in our bathroom and am looking for advice as to what materials to use. Its going to be about 2m30 high at one point, very high ceilings and sits in the corner of the room.

I intend to fix battens down the walls, across the floorboards to secure the sides and then hang two doors on the front so that you dont have to see the nest of pipework when you get the towels out.

I originally thought of using MDF but assume i would have to seal it as its in the barthroom. Plywood would also be an option.

Whilst walking through Wickes the other half spotted pine timerboard ( she thinkis that MDF is a cheap and nasty material althoguh i tried to say otherwise). My concern with using the pine timberboard is that it might be prone to warping and that the size we would be needed was 18mm thick and quite heavy.
We might end up painting it all anyway which in my mind makes using the timerboard a daft idea as you will not tell the difference once its got a coat of paint on it.

Sponsored Links
if your painting mdf is going to give you a better finnish
also timba board from memory is only 1800mm long
it also says it cant be used for doors last time i bought some it was £23 ish although that was about 5 years ago

i would use 12mm mdf sealed well i would also place a battonof 2by1" plained[18by44mm] all down the door opening with the 44mm visible
this will not only strenghten the open sides it will allow you to use 3" FLUSH hinges and have clearence when the door swings open

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=QEHHQKPQJQ1XICSTHZOSFFI?id=13649&ts=69214

or you could use 60mm if the doors are smaller

Thats a good idea about putting the batton on the inside will definatly consider that.

Sponsored Links
Calathea said:
My concern with using the pine timberboard is that it might be prone to warping and that the size we would be needed was 18mm thick and quite heavy..
Lighter than 18mm mdf.
I would go along with big-all but I would make a free-standing unit then you only need a couple of brackets for the wall. Moisture-resistant mdf may be a better bet for a small extra cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back