Which materials for bathroom cupboard??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I want to build my own bathroom cupboards as I have an timberframe in place and ready to use

My question is what materials should I use? The cabinet will be 1450mm from the sink and about 12 foot away from the bath/shower and will be housing fresh towels, toothpaste, shower gels, toilettries the usual stuff so I'm wondering if mdf will be fine and then covered with a sticky back vinyl sheet (like the worktop covers you can buy for kitchens??)

Or whether the moisture in the room (it's a large room) will cause the mdf to break?

I'm on a tight budget so can't afford thick expensive materials but at the same time I don't want it to break down after a year..

Wbp is obviously an option but its still a bit expensive

Money is key here... Any ideas?

Thanks alot in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you contemplating open shelve cupboards or closed? ...pinenot :)

I've used kitchen end panels [decor panels] and doors to make up units for bathroom. White gloss effect would like ok, or for timber, pine strip board finished with oil.

They will be closed cupboards but in was going to use the same material to build the cupboard doors then covered in the vinyl covering...

Either that or just paint the doors in my leftover bathroom paint

Sponsored Links
Hmm, traditionally bathroom cupboard shelves were made from untreated pine slats for free movement of air and non staining ability, could you not incorporate these into a metal stud frame lined with moisture resistant plasterboard? ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back