sealing new screeded floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had screed laid 4:1 with fibres. wife just ordered floor tiles for 80m2, shop just sold her PCI primer to seal floor at £22 per 5litres!!!!(and 17 of them)

Do you need to seal this floor, or if u do does normal pva do the job, which i can get on account at £10 per 5 litres at local builders merchant

Sponsored Links
selfbuildy
type of tiles an the mud/adhesive mix will tell you this .......

I always use Bal stuff ...
but you need to check on the manufacturers mix , never assume that PVA is needed , as the tile sticks to pva coating an then fails ... dreadfully
hope this helps :)

Tiles are porcelain. Adhesive being delivered Tuesday. I will read instructions and find out. One thing i forgot to mention tiles are on top of underfloor heating

Had PCI adhesive delivered. Instructions advise to keep surface free from dust, no mention of sealing. So is it best not to seal?

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is wet UF heating then primer may not be needed, what make & type of adhesive and grout are you using, should all be flexible.

You should allow screed 3wks to dry then raise the heat in the screed in small stages, then keep it at 25 degrees for 3 days, allow to cool then tile. Ball suggest then leaving for 8days before grouting then another 6days before starting to gradually raise temp

edit, just found This much the same as BAL suggest

Jason

With weather the way it is, screed can' t be far off 25 degrees. Not in position to turn heating on.

Going to tile it next week. Is it possible i could send u guys a pic of kitchen etc to see which way u would lay tiles. Kitxhen has island, plus tiles run into hall and toilet and storeroom.

Is there a website or program u can enter dimensions of room and tiles to see how everything works out?

You can place a pic in your posts, just need to upload it to something like Photobucket.com

Jason

selfbuildy
yep ...it would be good if more diyers here posted their finished jobs , :) :)

with oblong tiles lay them facing the door L L L L L ...;)

all ways gives the room the impression of bigger space ......

Thanks Moz for reply.Heres a pic of kitchen.Bottom left is a door that enters kitchen.To right of pipes, set of french doors, plus another pair around corner on right. Which way would you recommend tiles to go. We think brick formation works best With all other things to do in house, have decided to sub out work to tiler who worked for tiles r us. I just hope he does a good job. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back