Sealing non wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope to be able to paper a small wall in my downstairs toilet (no showers) using standard ordnance survey maps. I understand that the best plan would be to put some sort of clear coat sealing on it afterwards to reduce damage but cannot find any suitable product.

Does anyone have experience of a similar project and/or could you please advise me of a suitable product?

Also The wall is currently emulsioned, would I be advised to size it before papering?

Thanks
Slang.

Sponsored Links
No need to size if wall already painted. You could seal the maps with a water based varnish, this will protect them. It may give the surface a yellow tinge though.

Can you still buy 'feb' wallpaper sealer?

Sponsored Links
PVA isnt a sealer...it will turn white as soon as it gets wet

Yeah, PVA isn't waterproof either. Once I get the maps I'll do a sample with varnish on an offcut and let you know how it goes.

Post a picture up..it sounds interesting...you might need to wet the back of the maps though to make em plyable..otherwise they might crease/bubble

I'd be interested in seeing photos of this also if at all possible :)

I'll let you all know as it progresses. I am currently trying to find a print shop who can provide me a sample for less than £20. So that I can tell if it will be possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back