Sealing plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing plywood flooring onto a concrete/tiled floor as a finished flooring in a bedroom.

What would be a inexpensive way of sealing the plywood to eliminate splintering and protect from moisture? I understand that a good option is Osmo oil however that is far too expensive.

I'll go out on a limb here; is waterproof PVA viable for sealing plywood?

Also, could I fix the plywood using glue directly to the concrete?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a damp proof membrane under the plywood. The plywood surface is not really tough enough for a finished surface.

PVA is not a sealer, it is an adhesive.

Float T&G plywood.

Put down a membrane. Shouldnt need to be a DPC type, but no reason not to, a soft flooring membrane will help take out slight fluctuations in the tiled surface.

Make sure the plywood has a proper wear layer, some of the cheap plywoods have a paper thin decorative veneer, this are *not* suitable as a finished floor, the veneer is too fragile.

IRRC £25 for a 2.5L tub of floor varnish from wicks which should easily do a whole floor.

If it turns out to be difficult to get a good quality plywood (at a low price) would OSB board be better suitable? Not only does the top surface need to be durable, but the entire floor needs to be strong as I will be putting a aquarium weighing 400kg across a small space (750 x 750mm)

The only problem I've found with OSB is that it's apparently quite toxic, although I assume the varnish will seal in some 'outgassing' to some degree. I will be putting down a rug so 50% will be covered in cotton/wool - mostly in the areas I will walk/sleep.

Would OSB board also need sealing on each edge and face? This is a great price: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Floor-Varnish-Clear-Satin-2-5L/p/170619

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not difficult to get good quality plywood on the cheap.

It is impossible.

OSB is fine if you want a cheap looking floor, get sanded OSB and varnish it.

I understand. Do you know how much good plywood costs on average, if you work with that wood often or are in this industry.

To cover a 10m2 room for under £100 and no carpet, what would you personally use? It needs to be a natural finish like plywood and preferably insulating. I've considered floorboards but all those groves are a pain to clean.

If you look carefully you can see the top decorative veneer is about 0.2mm thick (yes 0.2mm).

That will be easily scraped or dented from hard shoes or dropped items.

You want plywood where the top veneer is +1mm thick, if you want that veneer to also be clear of knots then expect to pay double or triple that amount.

Either that or never wear shoes or drop anything on it, and apply generous amounts of varnish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back