Sealing shower door/frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a shower door/frame in my bathroom but I have a leak. I think I've figured out what to do, but would appreciate a second opinion (door/frame is from bathstore and instructions are useless).
looking at picture (B) below, frame is mounted on to edge of tray so that it covers the plasterboard and tiles.
I tanked the shower/plasterboard before tiling so that should be ok but I think it is leaking through the drain hole in picture (A) and getting between the tiles and the plasterboard.
Strangely, there doesnt seem to be anywhere for water to go once it has drained through the holes in the frame and into the side post.
I'm thinking that I should remove the frame, lay a bed of sealant accross the front of the tray/plasterboard/tiles then drop the side posts and frame onto that.
Sound reasonable ?
Would it be worth making a small cutout on the ineer bottom edge of the post so the water can drain back into the tray or will that let water back in ?

shower.jpg

thanks

Sponsored Links
Always seal between tiles and tray before fitting the door or it will leave a gap which can't be sealed when the frame is fitted.
Do not seal the horizontal part of the frame where it meets the tray so the water can drain to the tray.
There should be no need to cut a notch in the post, the water will drain into the tray ok as long as it isn't sealed.
More often than not I find it's the tray to tiles not being sealed before the frame is fitted. :)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12184

Most important place to put sealant is that part where the tiles and upright meet at the bottom,coz once its on..its on

doh! I didn't do sealant until I fitted the frame and door. Oh well, will remove all and redo...

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
It is important to seal the tray to the tiles before fitting the uprights. Pay particular attention to the area behind the uprights.

Seal uprights to tiles from inside the shower.

Seal bottom of enclosure to tray from outside the shower, extending about 6" up the walls.

The idea is any water getting behind the frame then drains back into the shower tray when it does get to the bottom.

Have now removed frame, uprights and all mastic (even on the inner walls).
I will redo it as advised. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back