Sealing Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just away to install a new Quadrant Shower, I've read that it be sealed on the outside only.

Should it not be sealed both inside and out?

Any explantaions as to why outside only?

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
You only seal the outside of the channel so that any water that gets into the channel can run down the inside and into the tray rather than build up and leak on the outside :D

My showers were sealed only on the outside by a plumber. The theory is wrong. Water entering on the inside may exit into the shower tray, but the accumulated soapy water creates mould and is unsanitary. I have now sealed on the inside as well. No more mould.

Sponsored Links
That was a random ancient bump and I'm sure the OP has solved it now, but for future reference, if it's unsealed on the inside, the only place the water should accumulate is the drain. If you seal inside and out properly, the water can accumulate between the metal layers of the shower screen. Eventually it will leak through either on the inside or outside.
I'd strongly advise people to follow the official instructions, as shower screens are notorious for leaking at the best of times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back