Sealing stone work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had a small extension built on to the end of our stone bungalow and we've retained the stone wall as a feature within the room. What is the best method of sealing the sand stone face. We would obviously like to retain as much of the natural appearance as possible.

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We've had a small extension built on to the end of our stone bungalow and we've retained the stone wall as a feature within the room. What is the best method of sealing the sand stone face. We would obviously like to retain as much of the natural appearance as possible.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill

I have just sealed a massive area withing my renovated flat. Roofs and around every window had stone work.

I used PVA

Cheapest way to do it dude, and what you will need:

1. Couple of floor brushes (£2 from tesco each).
2. Bason, Washing up liquid.
3. 5 litres of PVA (£12 from B & Q) You will get 25 litres of sealent from this.
4. Couple of masonry brushes, £1 each from B & M
5. napsack sprayer, I bought a 16 litre 1 from Amazon for around £20, same kind of thing to spray fences/weeds etc....
6. Bucket, 10 litre plus 1 wld be cool

How to Brush/Clean/Seal:

1. Brush walls from top to bottom, try best to get as much dust off as humanly possible, its not to hard with long brush, gives you good reach.
2. Put around 1/5 of a litre of cheap washing up liquid in bason with warm water, dip brush in and scrub walls from top to bottom, dries in fine.
3. Get large bucket, use 1 part PVA to 4 parts Water, I was using 2 litres of PVA to 8 litres of Water. Mix as best possible.
4. If you have a pump sprayer, apply with that from top to bottom, (roof 1st if you have brick roof) and have someone follow you with mason brush and brush in behind you, as this could will stop potential streaking.

PVA dries in clear anyway, will slightly darken the brick, but works an absolute treat.... deligted with the outcome. The lady in the flat above me was quoted £4800 to seal her apartment, i done it all for around £70 with help from friends.

Hope this helps dude, and good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back