Stone retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to build a 1m heigh retaining wall to the front of my garden which is slowly slipping into the road.

I have natural stone walls on the other side of the driveway entrance so want to mirror that look.

My question is, is it advisable to build a 6" block wall inside first then build up the stone wall as I want it to be as strong as possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Blockwork tends to be too light and porous to be a good retaining walls.. better to use 215mm wide engineering brick wall for that height with stone cladding..

Depending on how close to the road it is, you may need highways approval.. if its a completely new retaining situation..

either dpm the back of the wall or leave a small cavity to avoid staining and efflourescence on the stone.

We have highways aproval already as it boarders a public road. I was thinking of doing it on either 4" or 6" block with some re-bar drilled into the footing, then mass fill with concrete before laying the stone front?

Sponsored Links
do you mean two skins of 4 inch with a concrete filled cavity?

There is no real point drilling re-bar into the found as it's not attached, if you want to go that route get some rebar bent into L shapes and pour the footing with the short leg of the L in it. Then build your 2 skins around the upstanding long leg of the L and fill the cavity with concrete. This then links the found and the wall together more effetivly.

Mind you that is over kill when only retaining 1 metre. I built a wall like this to an engineers spec which was a very wide footing with the steel as decribed, 9 inch block on both sides and a 6 inch cavity filled with concrete.

This was to hold up a driveway on a steep site and it was retaining 3.5 metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back