Dry Stone Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was just after a bit of advice regarding building a dry stone retaining wall. I'm splitting my steep garden up into about 3 flat lawns, and I am planning to use dry stone retaining walls to hold the earth that i move in place. I have already built a small retaining wall at the top of the garden, so I am confident the rest will be no problem.
-However what I would really like to know is; Is it going to be benneficial to me to use a landscaping fabric of some kind, to stop the earth from behind the wall seeping through?
I was under the impression that it wouldn't be really neccessary, as the soil would slowly fill the gaps in the stone, and I could encourage small plants to grow within the gaps.- as this is an appearance i would like.

- Do you think I need to use fabric to stop large amounts of soil being washed through in heavy rain?
Any opinions will be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
no don't bother with the fabric, the dirt getting washed through will help stabilize and bind it together. If however you have a very sandy soil then it may be different but it would need to be pretty serious.

Thanks alot, thats put my mind at rest, and saved me shelling out on fabric. - Under the top soil theres a lot of clay, so should be fine then. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back