sealing water and waste pipe in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Looking for a bit of advice. Had a plumber over who put new pipes into the wall (photo attached), unfortunately, the guy that was supposed to do the rest of the work had to leave to Ukraine, so wondered if anyone can advise on the best way to seal/close those.
Thanks

Attachments

• pipes-wall.jpeg
    pipes-wall.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
What are the pipes carrying? i.e. both hot water, hot & cold, both cold?
Is the black one an electrical conduit with live cables?
I'm not a plumber but I don't think burying long pipe lengths in walls is a good idea as if the are hot pipes they will try to expand when hot and contract when cooling down. This can cause the plasterwork to move and crack. Also all joints need to be soldered securely, not compression fittings.
If you are determined to seal them in you need to use a flexible filler to accommodate the pipe expansion problem.

Sponsored Links
it is hot+cold+waste to and from cloakroom basin
If it’s hidden plaster over it an forget. If it’s on show, we ask the plumber to sink them deep enough to allow plasterboard cover. The copper pipe should be taped/protected.

If it's on show then pipes like that would have to be boarded over otherwise it will crack if you try to just fill it. If it's not on show you can just leave it exposed.

some posts have been removed

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back