Sealing wooden worktop by sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The house we bought has a hardwood worktop all round (not sure what kind of wood, it has a rich brownish-red colour) including the sink area. Unfortunately it isn't level nor is it sealed properly, so water accumulates and bits have gone black.

I'd like to treat it and seal it. Any suggestions on the treatment and sealant (I am near a Wickes and Screwfix... and a B&Q if need be)? Wickes have some solvent based sealants and Screwfix has a complete timber care that is meant to treat rot, but I am not sure if this will help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think the best method is to oil them and look after any potentially wet areas, ie try to prevent spillages, if they do occur mop up ASAP

Thanks, I had been doing that using Danish oil and mopping up but water still appears, usually as drying items slowly leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes, we have something similar but water still manages to leak out of it.

If its not level water will always pond on it. I assume that it is flat around the sink and not formed into a draining board. If so, have a look on fleabay for hardwood drainer, you can buy these which will sit on your worktop with a lip to drain into the sink.

Thanks, the one we have does drain but water seems to get everywhere, partly due to the tap design.

I am tempted to put a layer of Wickes satin solvent varnish to see if that helps.

Thanks for saying. Okay in which case it'll just have to be as you suggest, continuous care with oils and cleaning up any spills.

Just to say if anyone else comes across this but the original advice was correct. A few coats of Danish Oil made a world of difference and restored a lot of the damage. Regular coating is now done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back