Seam gone on new hot water tank? Guarantee worth anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently fitted a new hot water tank as part of a new heating/hot water system, when I filled the system there were no leaks from the connections anywhere.

I then had to partially drain the system a few days later to sort something else out and I think the water in the hot water tank was down below about quarter full. A couple of days later I noticed a small puddle of water near the bottom of the tank :( and a sticky residue on the side of the tank below a small dent with a split. It doesn't appear to be the connections but I want to put more water back in to confirm this in case it is coming from one of the connections and travelling under the foam

Assuming this is a leak from the tank itself, what is my best option? The tank was bought a few months ago from a plumbers merchant but I still have the ticket. Do I:

1) simply take it back and ask for a replacement under guarantee - will they accept this if there is the odd small dent in the foam or is that their get out?
2) Try and track down the source of the leak by removing foam and if it seems like a manufacturing issue try and get it replaced under guarantee, otherwise try and fix?
3) Remove foam until leak found and attempt to fix..

many thanks for any help!

Trev[/list]

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is a leak from the tank itself,
That's what you need to confirm before doing anything else.

what is my best option? The tank was bought a few months ago from a plumbers merchant but I still have the ticket.
If you are certain the tank faulty, take it back to the supplier and demand a replacement. If they make a fuss, tell them that you will be involving Trading Standards. If they still refuse to play ball, go to Trading Standards (usually your Local Council).

The last thing to do is attempt to repair it yourself; if you do you will invalidate any guarantee.

If this was me I would take it back. I use Plumb Center an they never refuse anything I take back faulty or not.

They will just get a credit from the manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
thanks! will confirm that it is definitely not the connections (am fairly sure but not 100%) and then take it back

Trev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back