Foam around a water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a water tank which is insulated with foam but this means the airing cupboard above does not get warm. Could I cut a small area of foam from the top of the tank to let a little warmth out? The hot water is always VERY hot.

Sponsored Links
can you? yes
should you? no

the amount of beneficial heat will be minimal to the cupboard however the loss of heat from the tank will drop the water temp and hold the boiler on longer therefore it will cost you more in gas, if yourwater is too hot turn the stat down and save fuel

The foam is put around the cylinder to hide the fact it is made of copper. Removing the foam will therefore show the foam and make it much more likely the cylinder gets stolen.

Sponsored Links
If you want your airing cupboard to be warmer, get a radiator put in there

If you want your airing cupboard to be warmer, get a radiator put in there
Or add some insulation round the outside of it. If you stop heat escaping, then only a small amount of heat is needed to keep a space warm.

The question suggests one of two things :

1) The OP has a very poorly insulated airing cupboard
or
2) He has very well lagged pipework.

Given the state of most installations I've ever seen, I;d be more inclined to assume it's (1).

Indeed Part W para T line F of the building regs state ........ Wherefore a combi boiler is not fitted in a property a cupboard for the purpose of airing shall be fitted with insulation around about under and over it so that it`s thermal transmission shall be less than 0.01/wMsquared :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back