pipe insulation using silver 'bubble wrap' and standard foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is in the outhouse, which is unheated. This cold weather has highlighted the need for some insulation!

The pipes mostly run along together, the cold feed, hot water and the flow+return for the CH.

I was going to foam wrap the cold feed, then foil 'bubble wrap' the other hot pipes, but would it make sense to wrap them all together so the warmth from the hot pipes keeps the cold pipe warm too?

Or, should i keep the cold pipe foam wrapped separately to the hot ones?

Does it matter?

Sponsored Links
SUre insulate the hot pipes from the world and I'd thermally "join" the hot tap water and CH pipes pretty well. Not the Cold main though so much, because you don't want the cold getting warm. If it's in the area it won't freeze assuming the CH is on.
You will need frost protection of course, which is separate, if it could all go off.

Thanks for that.

Not sure that the cold pipe would get THAT warm, but that's what I'll do I reckon. I'll foam wrap the cold feed, as normal and put this foil 'bubble wrap' on the hot pipes on their own.

Odd that it says on the installation instructions for the foil to put the silver side facing outwards so that it acts like a mirror, reflecting radiant heat AWAY?

1)It's silver both sides
2) You want to reflect the radiant heat INWARDS to the pipes I'd say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back