Seams between moisture resistant plasterboard s/ cement bords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is needed for the seams on moisture resistant plasterboards.or cement bords to seal before tiling.

Sponsored Links
Do they fill with something then tape? Is there not a water proof tape to use or is silicon on the joint ok?

Shows this

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-05-20-23-04-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-05-20-23-04-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
The tape looks just like the tape they use on normal plasterboard. I thought it was used to seal the joints?

I thought it was used to seal the joints?

Not to seal, you would need a tanking solution for that. The hardiebacker is to provide a good medium to fix tiles to, not to completely provide a completely waterproof solution if water penetrates the tiles.

The tape is self adhesive so you don't need any filler.

Hi,

If I recall, when I fixed my cement boards, the advice was to embed the fibatape in a thin film of tile adhesive over the joints.
The manufacturers recommend the use of fibatape rather than standard plastering scrim, and stainless screws or fixings, due to the alkalinity of the cement boards.

As above, cement board is not waterproof, it's water resistant.
If the boards are in a shower area, I would highly recommend using a tanking kit! :)

you could fill the void with the adhesive your’e using and bed some plasterers scrim into the adhesive on the joins as you go...... or not . it’s not important unless the edge of your tile lands on a join in the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back