Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Make: Seat
Model: 2009 Alhambra
Engine size/Type: 2ltd Diesel
Year: 2009
Mileage: 120k

I was on the last stretch after a long journey and noticed a smell a bit like the clutch.
As I was reversing into my drive, the engine cut out.
Then engine turned over, but did not start.

I called breakdown and they found the auxillary belt had failed and the tensioner was seized, though the battery was still well charged.
They hooked up an extra battery but still the engine would not start.

It is an old car, so my question is, if I replace the auxiliary belt, what is the chance that will solve the problem, or is there something more serious going on?

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Almost impossible to say, I'm afraid. Did they plug a fault code reader into it and get any fault codes? Any warning lights on? Replacing the seized tensioner and fitting a new belt, shouldn't be that expensive, and well worth the money on a car of that age and mileage, but there's not enough information in the post, to say whether there's anything else wrong, I'm afraid.

Most likely the auxilliary belt has snagged on the crank pulley and affected the timing belt.

The auxilliary belt itself would not affect the engine running or starting

Sponsored Links
Worth spending a bit of money to find out. If you can remove enough covers to see if the timing belt is at least still present, that would be encouraging. And then if you turn the engine slowly with a socket on the bottom pulley, you will be able to see if the cam is turning. You won't be out of the woods if that's the case, because the timing belt could have jumped a few teeth, but at least you're in with a chance.

Worth spending a bit of money to find out. If you can remove enough covers to see if the timing belt is at least still present, that would be encouraging. And then if you turn the engine slowly with a socket on the bottom pulley, you will be able to see if the cam is turning. You won't be out of the woods if that's the case, because the timing belt could have jumped a few teeth, but at least you're in with a chance.
probably worth that. But it turned over with battery pack via the breakdown people?

In which case it sounds like internal damage. Difficult without a closer look but I'd expect some damage at least.

probably worth that. But it turned over with battery pack via the breakdown people?

In which case it sounds like internal damage. Difficult without a closer look but I'd expect some damage at least.

Might be wort buying a cheap boroscope to have a look at the piston crowns to see if any impact damage. That would confirm/eliminate the greatest possible problem.

If, indeed, that's the problem? For all we know, the flailing end of the broken belt, just whipped a wire off a crank sensor or something, on its way past. When they tried starting it on the battery pack, did it sound like it had compression, or did it spin over really fast?

If, indeed, that's the problem? For all we know, the flailing end of the broken belt, just whipped a wire off a crank sensor or something, on its way past. When they tried starting it on the battery pack, did it sound like it had compression, or did it spin over really fast?
Agree. But it's not unknown for these engines, vehicles

Id never state an outright decision, without actually looking

My next door neighbours VW Tiguan has the aux belt snap and somehow get onto the timing belt. Cost him £4.5k to put right.

Sponsored Links
Back