Diesel Seat cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2001 Seat Alhambra has been cutting out when slowing down at traffic lghts and struggling to start when cold. We changed the glow plugs and fuel filter and it was fine for two weeks. It is now still starting fine but has started cutting out again.

It's strange as it always cuts out approx 1 mile from my house as I slow down at the same set of traffic lights (if the lights are green and I don't need to slow down it won't cut out). I then have to pump the accelerator to get it to start then it will be fine for the rest of the journey and any more journeys I do that day.

We've been told it could be muck in the diesel tank or air in the fuel system but would plugging it into a diagnostic machine tell us what the problem is? I have been driving it a lot less recently and only do about 50 miles a week and can sit on the drive for 4 days without being used as I work locally and cycle so it rarely gets a good run. We took it on a 500 mile drive in the summer on holiday and it was running great for a few weeks!

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
a diagnostic test will only help really if the engine management light on the dash has or is illuminated. make sure the air filter is clean is the first place to start

I also would check the fuel filter unless it has been changed recently.

Peter

Air filter and fuel filter were both changed.

If it did it all the time it would probably be easier to diagnose.

Sponsored Links
You have tried everything obvious then, the only thing I can add is possible low fuel pressure which would obviously be lower at slow engine speeds but I would have thought that there should be a fault code for that.

Peter

Time for a new fuel filter (a genuine one, please....) and who ever fits it, make sure that the two rubber seals (one white, one blue) are replaced at the same time.
I've had two issues with these:
1) Paint on the inside of the fuel filter canister has decided to come off :eek:
2) Air ingress into the filter causes reluctant starting and cutting out after a minute or so running.....however, once warm this fault disappears.
John :)

Back