secondary circuit and bronze pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I posted a question on how to solve the problem of a hot tank too far from the taps meaning a long wait for the water to run hot at the basin.

I got my reply ( thanks :D ) but don' t know how to do it.

So how do I implement a secondary circuit and what is a bronze pump? ;)

Sponsored Links
Grundfos 15/50 B is the average for most jobs.

you run a pipe from the farthest part of the hot water system back to the cylinder.

In the top 3rd of the cylinder you need a tapping, some cylinders have a fitting already, otherwise you need an Essex flange, from there you form an U with the pump in the up leg to the cylinder and the other leg connects to the return pipe to complete an Ring.

You will need to install another pipe to connect into the existing hot pipe near to the basin that's having the problem. This new pipe then connects back into a new tapping on the hot water cylinder. The bronze circulating pump would be installed in this new pipe adjacent to the cylinder and wired to a timeswitch so that it does not run overnight. The bronze pumps are in the region of £170 but DO NOT be tempted to use an ordinary heating pump to save money - they are not designed for domestic water use and will very quickly fail. You will also need to insulate all the hot water pipework to prevent undue heat loss. Be prepared for an increase in your heating bills if you go down this route.

Out of interest, how long do you have to wait for hot water to be drawn off at the basin tap and are you on a water meter?

The bronze pumps are in the region of £170

I have seen them for £50 on ebay.

You will also need to insulate all the hot water pipework to prevent undue heat loss. Be prepared for an increase in your heating bills if you go down this route.

..and a reduction of water bills too.

• The energy bills will not rise that much if the insulation is the thicker stuff and well fitted.

Have a pipe stat on the loop at the loop return to the cylinder. Set this to a few degrees below the cylinder temperature. Then the pump is switched out when the loop is up to temp.

Sponsored Links
we normally fit grundfos comfort pump, it has 1/2" connections and is available with built in timer cost about 100 quid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back