Secondary Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My Sash windows are really drafty.

Can anybody recommend a secondary glazing installer in London (East)?

Thanks in advance.

Karl

Sponsored Links
If your house is in reasonably good condition inside, esp the woodwork, one of the reasons may be the ventilation provided by the "draughty" windows. It's only recently that people have tried to do away with ventilation by blocking up draughts (ably assisted by silly regulations about how airtight a house must be, coming your way soon). All in this ridiculous quest to save "energy". Not wasting fuel I would agree with, as the resources are finite, but while government ministers can tell us how and why we should stop ventilating our living space to save fuel, yet indulge in their high-living lifestyle that allows them to justify wasting as much as they like, health should come before blocking up ventilation.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but rather than stop the draughts by secondary glazing, is there another way you could cope?

Secondary glazing is not rocket science. It is usually carried out as a DIY project. Checkout your local glass merchants for details of how it's done and supplies required. Alternatively any local handiman (or general builder) should be able to cope.

Before you go, headlong into fitting secondary glazing, it would probably be better to opt for draught proofing the windows you have. You can even buy sealed units to fit your existing windows (thus converting them to double glazed). Once again, a decent glass merchants will have all the information that you want (they'll probably be able to recomend a decent installer or two too).

BTW. Original sash windows are now considered highly desirable when selling a property, so if you ever surcome to temptation and convert them to new uPVC jobbies, don't be surprised if your property actually goes down in value!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back