secondary glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

We need to install secondary glazing to a large window in our living room. It has a fixed pane with louvres above it. We want to install a lift out version over the fixed window.

We want to build and/or install it ourselves. We have found a few companies around who do the whole build and install service, but are struggling finding supplies for a DIY version. Any one got any advice?

Thanks

Sally

Sponsored Links
thats a good idea NOT, since you want to be able to remove it, have you any idea how heavy it will be? ( i havent since you do not mention its size) but it is NOT light, and if you drop it it will produce razor sharp shards, ever seen the film "ghost" with whoopi goldberg? if so what happened to the bad person, if not 3 guesses what killed him

Sponsored Links
i agree with breezer about the weight thing
although perspex is to easily scratched
i used to have recycled secondary glazing it was a plastic section with nylon corner clips some with section protruding for the hinge hooks to pivot through so all you had to do was release the latch open a bit lift of the hinge pins
it was about 3mm glass and was quite heavy with all the moving of about 20 or so section into and out off the atic for about 10 years non got broken

Thanks for your concern..... :D

Obviously there are lots of options available for the glass itself, eg laminated or toughened. I am more interested in learning about available fixing methods for lift out style units.

As it happens, BS6262:1994 Code of practice only requires toughened glass to be used if floor to sill height is less than 800mm. Probably best to err on the side of caution tho, eh?

Thanks again!

Salsa said:
We need to install secondary glazing to a large window in our living room. It has a fixed pane with louvres above it. We want to install a lift out version over the fixed window.
The only problem I can see is, how are you going to get out if fire break out ?

If you have draught problem you maybe better off in the long run to change the window, will cost more though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back