Secondhand cheapo radiators

• Thread starter Alphanumeric86789
  • Start date
A

Alphanumeric86789

Hello all, just moved into our first house where we need to install central heating, and are looking, of course, to save money wherever possible.

We've had a quote for the work which seems reasonable enough but considered tracking down some old radiators (nothing fancy, just the standard white ones you see everywhere) rather than spending £400+ to buy new.

So I ask you, do you forsee any particular problems with this approach? Presumably it would be wise to have the system flushed through (a magnaclean is to be installed), but what else might be worth considering?

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Are you supplying all the gear mate?? If the cost of the radiators is a big issue, just buy & have fitted the main room rads.. Have the others piped up & plugged. I wouldn't advise buying second hand rads mate, very dodgy!!

The may look OK from the outside but what horrors lurk inside in the form of corrosion? Do you feel lucky?

Second hand rads could also contain a fair amount of sludge. It may not be apparent when they are nice and dry, but it may soon move when the system is working - and bung up the heat exchanger of your nice new boiler.
Saving a few quid will suddenly become very expensive!

Sponsored Links
If you shop around you should get 60-70% off new rads anyway.

Hello all, just moved into our first house where we need to install central heating, and are looking, of course, to save money wherever possible.

We've had a quote for the work which seems reasonable enough but considered tracking down some old radiators (nothing fancy, just the standard white ones you see everywhere) rather than spending £400+ to buy new.

So I ask you, do you forsee any particular problems with this approach? Presumably it would be wise to have the system flushed through (a magnaclean is to be installed), but what else might be worth considering?

Cheers,

Tom

Why would you even contemplate fitting 2nd hand radiators? , by the time you paint/flush etc what is the point? , are you fitting 2nd hand carpets/beds? , by the time you source the radiators to match the heat load you may as well buy new......would you also be asking the installer for a warranty?

A resounding 'no', then. Glad I asked! Thanks for the help with that one.

I'm not looking to skimp on things that will cause trouble down the line, or make the installers jobs a nightmare, but I'm perhaps not as squeamish about secondhand stuff as some people so thought it might be an option.

Cheers again, I'll be hanging around milking you all for other information soon enough.

I totally agree with the other lads .it is not wise decision to scrimp and install second hand rads because you never know what lurks inside them even if you clean them out etc

Plus new rads are alot more efficient for heat transfer which is very important and will save you monies in the long run

Also not having to rub down paint and all the other nonsense like finding correct brackets to hang them can be total nightmare

Spend a little less on paint instead of using Dulux get some Crown or macpherson paint or would be better advice.

To really save money you should drag an old Sussex plumber out of retirement ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back