securing a handrail post to paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
securing a handrail post to paving slabs
Hi, I would like to put in a small handrail for my parents. It's the standard handrail consisting of 2 vertical uprights and an adjustable horizontal pole. I'm a bit concerned if i bolt the vertical poles to slabs( probably 18" x 18" ) it will just unseat the slab after the rail is grabbed a few times, and will just begin to rock and loosen. As anyone got any ideas/ suggestions ?.

perhaps if the slab is rebedded with a good deep bed it won't happen?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I would consider rebedding the slab with a deep bed, and then use a long sleeve anchor (or stud and resin), fixed through the slab and into the foundation.

Lift the slab. What is under it? The supporting posts need to go into the ground. You will likely need to notch the paving to fit round them.

When you have several posts fixed to a rigid rail, they will help support each other along the length of the handrail. Fixing one end to the house will help a lot.

Sponsored Links
Consider what may happen if rocking the posts on the slabs happens often and then one day one of your parents leans on the rail for support.
The last thing you want if for them to go over with the rail and slabs lifting up etc.

Lifting the slabs and fitting the poles direct into something more solid may be a lot of work but is worth it.
Look into how to prevent the poles rusting before you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back