Securing a shed to the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this needs a few sentences of explanation so bear with me...

I'm building a shed from scratch, but it's quite tall (around 7 feet) and narrow from front to back (maybe 3 feet) as it's going to be at the side edge of our patio, and will store bikes vertically.

We'll be changing the patio next summer hopefully, but given the shape of the new shed I need it to be secure so that it doesn't topple over when it's windy so that needs to be done now.

Because the patio will be changed relatively soon, I basically want to stand the new shed on concrete blocks on the existing patio.

So a couple of questions I have are - is this a reasonable way to set it on the ground for now? Once we lay a new patio I'll have to move the shed, put a more solid base down and put the shed back in place. It's exact position may change so it's handy not to lay a load of concrete right now.

Secondly, I'm not sure of the best way of securing the new shed to the ground. I was thinking of using a couple of concrete fence spurs at the rear of the shed, dropping these into some post-crete (removing a couple of slabs from the patio) then coach-bolting these two the two rear corners of the shed. Does this sound reasonable? Not too much upheaval though I'll have to dig them out next year...

Sponsored Links
Your plan with posts sounds good. even timber posts would do fine. best to put them on the long side which will catch most wind.

If you want it in one position temporarily until you redo the patio then how about lay a load of bricks\blocks etc in the base until then?

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the responses. I've got young kids so don't want to take any chances. This thing is made from a load of 3x2, will be full of bikes (hung vertically) and will hopefully be clad board and batten with 1cm thick timber, so it'll weigh a fair bit. I don't want any chance of it toppling over.

I think I'll use concrete blocks underneath to raise it off the patio but secure it into concrete at the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back