Building a Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have ordered a new Keter 8 X 11 plastic shed, and plan to keep one or two of my push bikes in it. I plan to secure them via a Gold Secure ground anchor. However the shed will need a base, I am considering making a concrete slab my self by ordering the cement and other bits and mixing it in a hired mixer. I have never done this before so not sure how easy it is.

An easier option would be to lay concrete paving slabs as the base. However, I think they would be even less secure for the ground anchor as could easily be broken with a hammer and chisel.

Any thoughts? ( I realise a plastic shed is not very secure in its self but I can't afford a metal Asgard shed the same size).

Sponsored Links
Don't know if it matters much either way, any thief coming tooled up will have a cordless angle grinder, there's not much that will stop that.

Any anchor point is only as strong as its weakest link, which may be a chain link, an insecure fixing or a lock hasp.
The idea of securing any property is to make it as difficult as possible for a thief to obtain it. This can take a number of forms such as a chain and padlock to a secure fixing, steel bars through points of the object or a good quality alarm system. These things may deter most attempts but a determined thief will always find a way if it is worth their trouble.

Sponsored Links
if you want a ground anchor, cast it into a block or slab of concrete, and recess it so you have to put your hand in the hollow to fasten the padlock. Make it awkward for anyone wanting to interfere with it.

A ground slab is very useful for a shed anyway, you can incorporate the anchor when you build it. It will save you having to drill and bolt it into place.

scaffolders screw eyes are very big and quite easy to find.

I use an angle grinder, and it is fairly noisy and slow cutting through steel bars.

If you do go ahead with pouring a concrete slab, the advantage is that you can easily replace the shed in future if you decide you want to build a new one.

If access isn't an issue, consider getting an on-demand concrete lorry in. I did that when building a shed base and between 3 of us we had the concrete barrowed from street to slab in next to no time. As it was on demand, the fact I'd underestimated slightly wasn't an issue as we just paid for the extra bit instead of falling short of the shuttering. My neighbour went with the cement mixer and bags approach and must have been laying his slab for days, spread over several weekends and evenings.

If access isn't an issue, consider getting an on-demand concrete lorry in. I did that when building a shed base and between 3 of us we had the concrete barrowed from street to slab in next to no time. As it was on demand, the fact I'd underestimated slightly wasn't an issue as we just paid for the extra bit instead of falling short of the shuttering.

Ask them and they will probably be able to barrow and lay it for you - definitely the easiest most straight forward option for most people.

Use a barrowmix company if it's 1m3 and above. No brainer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back