Securing a wall plate to a wall to carry floor

M

marsaday

When you bolt a wall plate to a wall, how deep do you set the bolts?

i will be using a 2" thick joist as the wall plate and half a floor will be hung from this. Do you go into the wall 75mm or 100mm? The wall is a solid brick wall one brick thick- house 1910.

My spacing will be every 400mm.

Sponsored Links
do you really need a plate?could you not use joist hangers set into the wall?

i have been told that a wall plate is easier to do. i may go for hangers bolted to the wall though. still undecided.

any answer to the question though?

I've never heard of "bolting" a wall plate to a single skin!! It will surely crack the 1910 bricks won't it? if not dislodge them. Ether way, you will puncture the new dampcourse that you would have placed under the new wall plate to stop it rotting!!

There are these things lol, can't remember what they're called, they're like U shaped brackets. You lay your wall plate on the wall, which is probably slightly uneven anyway, pack where necessary with slate to level, then drop the U shape bracket on top, allowing you to multiple fix down the face of both sides of the wall. (the U bracket would be used upside down) with screws and plugs.

And whether you use joist hangers or not depends on the height of the other half of the floor !!!

In case i've misread you totally, a single brick is approx 100mm wide, i would be using just 25mm screws and plugs with the brackets.

Sponsored Links
Here we go again with the wallplate confusion :rolleyes:

Mars, why don't you keep all questions relevant to the same job in one single thread?

1 brick deep aka a 'niner', I'd be going in by 90mm. M12's would serve for every 400mm.

yep sorry for confusion. I may have asked before this same question.

this is a double brick solid wall.

Anyway thanks for the info deluks. 90mm it will be.

Here we go again with the wallplate confusion :rolleyes:

Mars, why don't you keep all questions relevant to the same job in one single thread?

1 brick deep aka a 'niner', I'd be going in by 90mm. M12's would serve for every 400mm.

And here's me thinking 2 bricks deep plus some gobbo aka a 'niner' !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back