Securing Electricity Meter Cupboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not have online access to the OED.

Funnily enough, I do have access to a hardcopy.

The entry for "fruit" will not be one line saying "that part of the plant which contains the seeds"

sunflower2.jpg
a fruit?

I don't know where you found your preferred definition. It must be a very shoddy dictionary if it says nothing more.

Sponsored Links
I do not have online access to the OED.
You only have to Google "word definition" and it is an option.

I don't know where you found your preferred definition.
I did precis it but I don't think that detracts.
I discounted the fruits of your loins.

It must be a very shoddy dictionary if it says nothing more.
IT IS although others agree.

So, one will be wrong.

You are foolish to tell a chef he is wrong if he classifies a strawberry tart among his fruit pastries.

p.s.

Your link is not to the OED, which is a very large and very comprehensive source, and is a specific book in multiple volumes. I will try not to comment on your incorrect use of a term which is very specific and describes a particular thing. Ooops, I failed.

http://www.oed.com/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-OXFOR...710005?hash=item465b22ad75:g:2rUAAOSwux5YYBmx

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
OK, then.

In English, "Ignoramus" is used as a noun. As an English word, its plural is "Ignoramuses"
cf. "bus"

In Latin, it is a first-person plural verb, and has no plural. The invented "Ignorami" has no foundation.

Oxford Living Dictionaries are not the same as the OED. I'm sure the OED will explain its derivation.

In English, "Ignoramus" is used as a noun.
I believe that we are using English here. Therefore it is a noun.

As an English word, its plural is "Ignoramuses"
That is true.

In Latin, it is a first-person plural verb, and has no plural.
In German, 'mist' does not mean a light fog.

We aren't using Latin here, so 'ignoramus' is a noun.

The invented "Ignorami" has no foundation.
That is true, but then neither did the use of "electrocute" to mean "electric shock". Remember that the first duty of the lexicographer is not to decide how people should speak, it is to discover how people do speak.

There are many back-formations in the dictionaries. I'm just in the vanguard with "ignorami".

Oxford Living Dictionaries are not the same as the OED.
Same organisation.

I'm sure the OED will explain its derivation.
Sadly I can't afford the OED. But other dictionaries also say where it originated.

So, is the only dictionary that you will believe be the one none of us can read?

You are foolish to tell a chef he is wrong if he classifies a strawberry tart among his fruit pastries.
Maybe, but he would not actually be correct, would he?

Strawberries were called "fruit" and "berries" long before taxonomists began their obsessive hobby.

If you believe that old meanings take priority over new ones, you must say that the taxonomists are wrong.

In fact, however, words can have different meanings according to their context, and how they are understood by the people who use and hear them.

What is an "anchor?" What is a "screw?"

Would you go to the fruit counter or the flower stall or the vegetable counter for raspberries, tomatoes, cauliflowers or sunflowers? Where would any other sane person go?

When you are familiar with a language, you understand it with ease
15230641_808715082602414_336497923088071994_n.png

Some languages insist on different words to ensure understanding

14947397_800692896737966_6549537460275170970_n.png

If you believe that old meanings take priority over new ones, you must say that the taxonomists are wrong.
But you won't accept the same for the examples which started the discussion.

In fact, however, words can have different meanings according to their context, and how they are understood by the people who use and hear them.
They do, but that does not mean they are correct.

What is an "anchor?" What is a "screw?"
It's no good keeping on asking what single words 'are' without explaining what you have in mind.

Would you go to the fruit counter or the flower stall or the vegetable counter for raspberries, tomatoes, cauliflowers or sunflowers?
Well, being very logical, I would go to where they are for sale, regardless.
Just like if I want a key, I will go to the cobblers.

Where would any other sane person go?
I presume they would do the same.

But you won't accept the same for the examples which started the discussion.

I do not assert that older meanings take priority over new ones.

It's a nice point, as Lord Wellesley would have said.

It's no good keeping on asking what single words 'are' without explaining what you have in mind.
I am demonstrating that words are not frozen into a single usage or meaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back