Secure Meter Cupboard access?

Combination padlocks are notorious for being easily decoded, any bank that uses these ought not to.

If not decoded using the old pull on the shank trick then a simple shim down between the numbers usually allows quick decoding if not complete opening.
The same goes for many padlocks, unless you spend some serious money on them they are a small deterrent at best.
Thus it would be adequate enough to fit a triangle lock albiet the key is available at most supermarkets they are simple enough to prevent the casual bypasser/child opening them.

Sponsored Links
Thus it would be adequate enough to fit a triangle lock albiet the key is available at most supermarkets they are simple enough to prevent the casual bypasser/child opening them.
Indeed, but probably not much more effective at than than a "Private", "Staff Only" (or "Keep Out" ) sign :) As for children, as I recently wrote, it doesn't even need to be locked - just a 'high up handle' would suffice.

As I also implied, if anyone feels that more than that is required in the name of 'safety', then they perhaps should review the accessibility of meter and CU in their own house :)

Kind Regards, John

I don't think you are doing enough 'reading between the lines' of my comments :)

I personally find the whole thing pretty nonsensical, as is not uncommonly the case with interpretations of "H&S" requirements. I'm not sure what sort of malicious activities and/or "malicious people' they have in mind, but they must be extremely rare and, as I've been pointing out, none of the measures that have been suggested would be a significant deterrent to someone with determined 'malicious intent'.

As for safety, as far as children are concerned, the door does not even need to be locked - simply having the 'door handle' high up (as in doors on children's wards in hospitals) would be adequate. In any event, for adults (and, really, also children), an 'electrical meter and consumer unit' in a small hotel should not represent any greater risk to anyone (adult or child) than do the meter and CU in any domestic dwelling, include those in which the 'guests being protected in the hotel' normally live.

As for 'muddled', then IF (despite the above) it really is believed that there is some need for 'security', then, particularly in a 'public' building, there is the usual inevitable conflict between considerations of 'safety' and 'security' - the more difficult one makes it for people to 'get at things' and/or to get in/out of a building (in the name of 'security', the more difficult does it inevitably become for them to do such things if needed 'in an emergency'. However, as above, I'm far from convinced that I really see any need (for either) in the situation being discussed, to the question may well be moot (as far as I am concerned)

Kind Regards', John
I don’t read between lines just the ones that are written.

Another possibility, which has not been mentioned that I can see - is to simply alarm the door, so that any attempt to open it triggers an alarm, at the desk, with a means included to isolate the alarm for valid access, plus and ALARMED notice on the door.

Sponsored Links
Combination padlocks are notorious for being easily decoded, any bank that uses these ought not to.

I did say for internal doors. They use them on the 'airlock', from bank hall, to the secure areas at back of tills, with alarms on the doors. They are not quite the same as the combination padlocks. Difficult and time consuming for anyone to get through with staff on duty, ready to slam cash drawers shut and trigger alarms. When staff are not on duty, both airlock doors are latched open. Some were fitted with electronic key code locks. I originally fitted one of the electronic locks on my garage, but later swapped it for the adequately secure mechanical code lock.

Another possibility, which has not been mentioned that I can see - is to simply alarm the door, so that any attempt to open it triggers an alarm, at the desk, with a means included to isolate the alarm for valid access, plus and ALARMED notice on the door.
Yep, that could be done.

If one would actually like a key, one can extend that to what I previously suggested - have a key in an ('alarmed') break-glass thingy or similar adjacent to the door.

Kind Regards, John

It's in an open public area. put a hasp and staple with padlock for now - quick and easy and will get something more suitable fitted in the coming days

I'd still be looking at a lock to match the guest rooms so everyones master key opens it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back