CU and meter in bathroom cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Know of people who want to convert a part of their garage to a downstairs bathroom, probably a toilet and shower room, accessed from the house not the garage. The Electric CU and meter is in the garage which would be in the new bathroom. A cupboard could be built around them giving access via the new bathroom/shower room, rather than expensively move everything. I told them, just to be sure and safe, have all the house on RCD protection (it may already have this). The bathroom will have a light operated timer fan.

The question. Are there any regs that preclude having the CU in a bathroom cupboard?

cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Strickly speaking it is OK providing access to the electrics is only via a tool [such as a key, screwdriver, coin etc].
However it is far from ideal, imagine someone being in the bath when something trips...
I think there is even something in the regs about good access.

Sponsored Links
Sunray, thanks. I was thinking like you, a locked cupboard. Excellent access is a given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back