washer and dryer in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I think I know the answer to this but I'd be interested in clarification from anyone with an opinion.

I hav just been to inspect a house where theer is a downstairs bathroom come utility room. The washer and dryer have been made integral, behind cupboard doors as in a kitchen and the electrics are not visible or accessible. The alcove housing these is away from the shower, basin and toilet but within 3m.

Strictly speaking there are sockets in the bathroom although they aren't accessible or visible. Where does this sit in the regs?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if the sockets are not in a locked cabinet, then you can get at them without using a tool (a key counts as a tool) so this is not allowed inside the bathroom.

However they could be changed to an FCU with flex outlet, which would be OK.

personally I would prefer to see the FCU outside the bathroom door, with the flex outlets inside. There used to be a fashion for putting bathroom light wall switches outside the bathroom door for similar reasons. It was found though that naughty people like to turn the light off when you're in there.

Edited: Here we are, it's been asked before
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=417298#417298

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back