Securing load onto exterior wall (inside)...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wasn't 100% sure where to post this, but figured General was as good a place as any. Also, apologies if my terminology is incorrect here, please bear with me.

I'm looking to install some pull-up bars in an upstairs room, on an exterior (?) wall (i.e. inside, but the wall is a load-bearing one with one window). The house is a 1920s terrace build.

Manufacturers instructions vary, but most seem to suggest bolting/screwing the bars into wooden joists. However, I've no idea what's behind the wallpaper and plaster on this wall. Stud finder just beeps constantly.

The internal partition walls separating this room from the main bedroom have horizontal wood strips (lath?) and then a pretty crumbly layer of plaster.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for this job; knows what is likely to be under the wallpaper of the wall in question; or any tricks for finding out whilst causing the minimum amount of damage / work?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to make a free standing unit with a couple of scaffold poles and a few joints.

I've no idea what's behind the wallpaper and plaster on this wall.

Drill a hole and see how solid it is and what colour dust comes out.
Ideally you'll get through a layer of plaster and then hit brick.

Use a really strong magnet (the rare earth kind) to find the heads of screws/nails. Mark them, join a line and there you have it, that's where your frame is.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to make a free standing unit with a couple of scaffold poles and a few joints.
That's plan B. Wall-mounting would be a better use of space for me if I can manage it.

Drill a hole and see how solid it is and what colour dust comes out.
Ideally you'll get through a layer of plaster and then hit brick.
That's a pretty cool, and simple, idea. Cheers mate.

Use a really strong magnet (the rare earth kind) to find the heads of screws/nails. Mark them, join a line and there you have it, that's where your frame is.
Are you thinking that if it has laths(?) then they're probably attached to joists and the magnet would find the fixings? I like this idea a lot. Will give it a try. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back