Securing old UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening.

On a previous thread I mentioned knocking down an old conservatory that had been erected when the garage was knocked down.

It's a bit of a tip at the moment - but we can't afford to rebuild it just yet.

The UPVC double doors don't fit particularly well. No idea where the keys are and the locking bolts no longer shoot into the frame - it's as insecure as you get.

I'm considering, in the interim putting a hasp and staple across the doors - my question is a) will it do any good? I'm both bothered about the doors themselves as it will be knocked down eventually. I can't really see self tapping screws holding out burglar bill tbh. I suppose it's more of a deterrent.
b) would I be better looking at a steel bar across the full length of the door?

Anybody had any experience of this?

It's completely separate from the house so it doesn't have to be Fort Knox

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
I'd guess it would be best to drill right through the frame and use nuts and bolts if you are using a hasp.....as the frame is aluminium it shouldn't be too tough.
Failing that, a steel angle bar right across the frame and secured to the wall would do the trick - on the door opening side of course.
John :)

I don't know how much you want to spend, but how about this and you can always keep it for future use.

Mike

Cheers gents. I think I'd be inclined to bolt right through so that's a good idea.

Mike - did you post a picture or link? If so - I can't see it!

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Ah! Patlock. We had one before we installed bi folds. To be honest - I hadn't even considered that. Dunno how well they'd stand up to the northern weather being placed externally!!

I'll investigate!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back