securing the garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum's neighbour keep moving the fence position.She is old and also have knee problem.
I was thinking to replace the fence and build the wall along the boundary
Do I need planning permission for this? If I can't build wall, How can we secure the boundary?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be cheaper to take some measurements from the opposite neighbour's fence, along with photographs, and the info from the deeds and then send these in a recorded letter to the neighbour asking them to cease moving the fence.

If your mother has house insurance with legal cover, they may be able to involve them to take such action if there is a boundary dispute.

Sponsored Links
Cheaper for sure but if the neighbour ignores the letter what then? Record it as an ongoing boundary dispute? Nowt as good as a physical deterrent.

Cheaper for sure but if the neighbour ignores the letter what then? Record it as an ongoing boundary dispute? Nowt as good as a physical deterrent.
If the neighbours ignores it then a wall can still be built, but if it stops them without the need for additional work it’s got to be worth the price of postage…if not, what have you lost?

Be careful about where the dimensions on the plan are taken from. If it just shows the width of the plot can you prove that the other boundary is in the correct position?

who owns the fence?
If it is their fence, you can probably move it and add your own.
If it's your fence, or after you move theirs, use some concrete posts .

"Only a few inches isn't worth the effort"
as an ex told me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back