Security light cable

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having external wall insulation installed at the moment and two guys came round today to start enabling works.

They have taken a pir off the wall and extended the cable (flex that comes straight through the wall into the back of the light) using a terminal strip covered in insulation and the wire they have run from this just looks like standard twin and earth.

I'm not convinced they should be using t&e to extend or that they should be burying a terminal strip inside foam wall insulation.

Am I right?

Sponsored Links
What sort of "terminal strip"? Screwed or maintenance free connections? In an enclosure?

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Screwed and not in an enclosure.

I was not happy about it so rerouted the existing cable in the loft space and managed to release a further 20cm or so. No need to use their dodgy extension.

They should not be extending cable using exposed terminals, wrapping up in electrical tape is also incorrect. It must be in an insulated enclosure, which contains cable restraints. If the joint is to be buried or hidden a maintenance free method must be adopted. And Ashley/Hager MF boxes are not designed to be buried in walls or cavities. You are correct in saying T&E is not designed to be exposed externally.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Not quite sure why they were moving the light for wall insulation anyway???

Unless you're having your walls cladded with something?

Very odd.

Glad you were able to sort it out yourself.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back