Security lights and one more

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
1) can someone give some information (circuit diagram?) relating to security lights connection, the configuration needed is Halogen lights that will be triggered by sensors (as normal) and have the possibility by using a different switch to be turned on permanently, (by-passing the sensors).
2) a hair dryer that will trip the smoke alarm, and stop working, it is connected to a 13A socket, the MCB does not trip and if it is used in a different room it will work fine.

Any ideas?
Albert

Sponsored Links
Albert

This should help: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9276&start=0

As for number 2.

Hmm, not sure.

"2) a hair dryer that will trip the smoke alarm, and stop working, it is connected to a 13A socket, the MCB does not trip and if it is used in a different room it will work fine."

When you say trip the smoke alarm, do you mean it is smoking? In which case bin it pronto!!

Need a bit of clarification Albert!!

Hi,
Thanks for the info about the lights, the thing is that the lights already exist, and I have been asked to add the extra switchs for permanent 'on', a wiring diagram will help me to understand the way that it should work.

to be honest I am going to see this unit tomorrow, as it was described to me, yes, it activates the smoke alarm, they couldn't see smoke, using a different hair dryer in the same socked caused the same problem, using the hair dryer in a different socket will work fine. It is possible that all this it nonesens but I like to do my homework if I can...
and the idea that the hair dryer will work this way without triping the MCB sound quiet bizzar.. and this is the reason that I asked this question, if this situetion is possible under, what circumstances it could happen?
Albert

It does sound very very odd, but no doubt you'll see better what the situation is when you're actually there.

I can't make head nor tail of it as your customer describes it.

I can only suggest that they were smoking at the time (or had a fag in an ashtray) and this was causing the smoke alarm to go off (or some other smoke - toast?). For some reason they have attributed the cause of the smoke alarm activation to the appliance, where the true cause is unrelated.

Try operating the hairdryer (if you can) in a socket near to another smoke alarm. Does it cause that one to go off as well?

As for the lights, are they combi PIR/flood units? Or are the PIR's seperate units?

Some units don't allow override wiring - they can be overriden by switching on and off quickly, and this "pulse" automatically switches over to "on all the time".

Those that do are easy to wire.

Just insert a twin and earth between permanent live supply to the passive and the switched live suply to the lamp. Then put a one gang one way switch on the end. This will put a live feed directly to the lamp when the switch is down (ie lit up until switched to the up position) and when the switch is up, the live feed will be removed. If it is night time and the sensor has detected something then the light will still be lit, even though the override switch is "off", because the switched output from the passive will be live.

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Are you clear about the method of wiring used to override pir's?

Not sure I have understood the question properly, but regarding the smoke alarm problem, they seem to be very sensitive and will detect smoke before any human could see it (I have seen an accidental demo of this involving a fan heater and a blanket :rolleyes: - I am glad to say that the smoke alarm did its job, and the two were separated before any harm happened :) ) Anyway a hairdryer is a fairly big load, and my guess is that it is causing some bad wiring to overheat?)

securespark said:
Are you clear about the method of wiring used to override pir's?
Wiring diagram would be very helpful.

Anyway a hairdryer is a fairly big load, and my guess is that it is causing some bad wiring to overheat?)

If so wouldn't the MCB trip?
Albert

Albert said:
Anyway a hairdryer is a fairly big load, and my guess is that it is causing some bad wiring to overheat?)

If so wouldn't the MCB trip?
Albert

Not if the piece of bad wireing had lower current carrying capability than the rating of the mcb (Picture some idiot wiring a spur to a 32A ring main with bell cable)

Ok,
Any how I'm going to test it today, insulation, continuity and polarity.
Albert

If you can get hold of a pat tester, Albert, that would help, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back