Security: Should I ditch Norton for Virgin Media

Best thing to do is not get the crap on your pc in the first place.
Too true. I hope I won't be too annoying if I mention sandboxing again but it is an effective way of doing just that. I've had a couple of occasions when I've clicked on an innocent looking link and then the browser started behaving peculiarly. It once just shut down to a small grey advertisng box in the right-hand corner of the monitor. Shows the power of a malicious script if unlucky enough to come across one.

I don't know if Avast (running that at the time) or any other program I have in place would have sorted that out, or if it would have even lead to HighjackThis logs being necessary. The case was that the sandbox had contained the problem and emptying it made everything work properly again. Nothing else needed.

I can't praise sandboxing enough, although I realise not everyone shares the enthusiasm. My only worry is that Sandboxie won't work with 64 bit operating systems because of certain Microsoft restrictions. I may eventually have to stop using it because of that (when 'new computer' time comes).

Sponsored Links
SuperAntiSpyware seems to be the most pro-active I have found so far in stopping malicious items, but again, its not guaranteed. Again, all software must be kept up to date.

I haven't read the full thread, but I will give my advice for free.

I fix up and pass on computers through a site not related to this forum. many of the 'puters come to me 'cos they are shafted by software errors.

Usually Norton Systemcare or such like. Norton Utilities is rubbish. In My Humble Opinion. I must say that I haven't used Norrton products in several years. They may have improved, but I doubt it.

So, my advice to anyone out there, ditch Norton. Fast. Yesterday. If it comes preinstalled, don't buy the pc. I hate it with a vengeance.

Rant over for now, anyway.

Free utilities such as Avast! Antivirus - Free, is very good. To name but one. Comodo internet utilities is a good program and free too. ZoneAlert is a good free FireWall.

There are free anti spyware programs out there but I am not going to name them here.

There are many utility programs to tweak, adjust, modify, or otherwise break, your installed OS of choice, that are free for personal use without paying tens, or hundreds of pounds for the abilty of using one or two features.

It's your pc, and it's your choice. Pay for something that will, in all likelyhood be available somewhere else, just as good, if not better, for free, somewhere else.

The security pc guard on virginmedia when updating, which can be 2 or 3 times daily, always interferes with any thing that I am on with, it stops me from any control and seems to take over while the updates are being installed ect.

This includes slowing down my computer, almost freezing it completely until it has completed the update.

I get a message that updates have been updated and things go back to normal with no problems at all.

I am also thinking of removing it and replacing it with AVG or similiar.

Any one here able to help me on this if I do want to change security providers.

Thanks ggraham07

Sponsored Links
I'd read the rest of this Thread, ggraham07! ;)
(it's a tad old but still worthy)

I am running MS Security Essentials on a Windows 7 PC. :mrgreen:
It's not resource hungry and plods on nicely in the background with 'Ad-Aware' alongside it.

Lose the VM set-up though, whatever freebie you go for. :p

Apologies for bringing an old post to life, but i need advice, computers and me being middle aged dont gel very well.
I've had Norton installed for the last 2yrs and really would like to get rid and download maybe Avast for free, can some one give me an idiots guide how to do this please?
I've also noticed my pc is getting slower as the months go by and Norton pop ups with messages saying "high mem use" ect are appearing every couple of hours!! :evil:
How do i speed this bugger up?

Norton pop ups with messages saying "high mem use" ect are appearing every couple of hours!! :evil:
How do i speed this b*****r up?
If it's the norton message I am thinking of, it should be telling you what program is using excessive memory. Which is it?

How old is your PC and how much memory has it got? Sadly, applications (not just Norton) get more bloated every day. I am not convinced that the stories about Norton slowing down the computer more than anything else are true.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and in the recent "Which" test came out pretty good (not as good as Norton).

Thanks for you're input John, my PC is about 3yrs old, as for memory, i will have to get my boy to look into that one.
Some one at work suggested cleaning up registry, i thought this would be done when i use Advanced System Care 4 every so often. :confused:

It's worth pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE from time to time, this will start Windows Task Manager and by looking at the tabs and clicking at the top of the columns you can sort it to see what app is using how much. You might have got something on there you don't want/need/know about, especially if other people use it

BTW adding more memory is very easy and not very expensive.

Is it Norton Internet Security you've got, or something else? Some of their packages include tune-ups

Will give it a go John, thanks. As for my security, again i will have to wait till my boy comes round one day, he set this pc up for me but his knowledge is limited.

Strange to see my old thread ressurected. As an update, I did get rid of Norton and install Virgin Media.

It has worked well, has quarantined a few "invaders" and I am more than satisfied, it did what it said on the tin!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back