See Artex through new skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had 2 large ceilings skimmed and only now having painted (after waiting 4 weeks) has it become obvious in some places the artex pattern is clearly visible still. Should I just expect this on a large ceiling or would you as a plasterer expect your surface to be completely flat? Will give the plasterer a call to discuss just wondered what general consensus was. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Just had 2 large ceilings skimmed and only now having painted (after waiting 4 weeks) has it become obvious in some places the artex pattern is clearly visible still. Should I just expect this on a large ceiling or would you as a plasterer expect your surface to be completely flat? Will give the plasterer a call to discuss just wondered what general consensus was. Thanks,

We like pictures of these things.

Sorry have been offline for a couple of days. I wasn't around during the plastering but have spoken to people on site and they dont recall a bonding coat. It is a large ceiling so maybe he thought he could get away with just a skim. Will try and get some pics up on here tonight. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I don't see how he could trowel it smooth if it were catching the peaks of the artex.

I don't see how he could trowel it smooth if it were catching the peaks of the artex.

Probably not but also sometimes they break off and are bedded in the finish, or just trowelled tight to the peaks.

Poor job regardless, as if it is th eodd peak it could be picked out during the second rub

I prefer to give a quick scrape to get the high spots , Bondit, BOnd ,Set unless very small and then you need to let teh heavly first coat pick up well before laying down.

Spread is telling me that very rarely as the plaster dries it gets 'pulled' round the pattern of the artex? Makes sense to a degree as I'm sure they were smooth when he left the job and only now 4 weeks later am I seeing the pattern come through at its worst. Anyway he is coming back to reskim so no harm done but am wondering if same thing will just happen again? This is first time I have heard of this but then I am just a 'button basher' masquarading as a project manager :D

Never heard of that. If he is coming back you are okay , there should be no recurrence as he has filled down to the pots with the first attempt. Make sure he uses a proper bonding agent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back