Seed Potatoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to attempt to grow some potato's and wondered do I have to use bought seed potatoes or can I just use a potato that has gone to seed in the cupboard

Bob

Sponsored Links
You maybe hard pressed to find any decent seed potato's in the shops now,have a go with the ones from your cupboard nothing ventured nothing gained.They should go in now.

I'm not sure if it's law or not but, when planting potatoes you're supposed to use "certified seed" potatoes. It's in order to control the spread of potato diseases.
Having said that, the best spuds I ever got were from the one that had sprouted whilst in my cupboard.

Sponsored Links
I've used potatoes that have started chitting and gotten a crop off them before now. Not heard about that law though.
Funnily enough with this decent spell I've managed to get in the garden and have a couple of buckets of spuds from the self sets that were missed from last years harvest :D

No law about using seed potatoes, but they are generally certified virus free - which the ones you get in the supermarket won't be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back