what size container for potatoes and tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

first venture into vegetable planting this year. can someone advise roughly what size container should i get for potatoes and tomoatoes. for tomatoes i am looking at baby plum variety if it matters. for potatoes probably couple of varieties, one early one and one main one.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Tomatoes can be grown in a grow bag, they are thirsty, hungry plants, pototoes unsurprisingly need a much deeper container.

get some tyres,
fill 1 will compost and plant the spuds,as soon as they start to shoot add another tyre and compost again.keep doing this and you should have a bumper crop.
we done this a couple of years ago,ended up having to give loads away as we couldnt get through them.

If you are tight for space, then stacked tyres is a good suggestion for the potatoes, but it is not always easy to get your hands on old tyres.
(Although if you go to your local tyre repair shop and ask, you may find they are delighted for you to take some away for free)

Most importantly don't plant too many seed potatoes in a small space, they won't thrive and will just result in smaller potatoes. A rough rule of thumb would be about 4 potato plants to a dustbin sized container. I believe the growing sacks you can buy specifically for potatoes take about 3 plants.

You do need to ensure you have adequate drainage holes at the base to allow excess water to freely drain away.

I would suggest you would need at least a six litre (1.5 gallon) container for your tomatoes.

Sponsored Links
A couple of years back, I tried growing baby plum tomatoes in hanging baskets at the front of the house, yellow & red. They looked really colourful and provided plenty of tomatoes throughout the summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back