Seeking council of the wise men of DIYnot

T

teaboyjim

I've got a house I'm refurbishing and I've half done the work using a few local tradesman - Is getting a project manager/gen builder the best way forward?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Get someone to write you a specification, then tender the work to suitable firms. The same person could assess the tender returns and advise on awarding the contract and if need be project manage the work, or just inspect for valuation an m and payments.

Get someone to write you a specification, then tender the work to suitable firms. The same person could assess the tender returns and advise on awarding the contract and if need be project manage the work, or just inspect for valuation an m and payments.
Let me know if you know anybody interested

sounds like a case of more money than sense to me.
if I wasn’t waiting for an operation i’d be there today.
I can’t believe you can’t organise this with that sort of money hanging around.

Sponsored Links
I'm made progress but it's been slow and I've made mistakes

Cheers Benny
I'm made progress but it's been slow and I've made mistakes. I tend to overanalyze sometimes this is a reflection of not having enough experience and I am trying to organize it. Hotels are available at cheap rates because nobody is using them much.
Whereabouts in the country are you?

Your problem is not knowing what you don't know.

Professional builders that do extensions and refurbished know the regs, they know the order to get things done and they will have built up a network of really good subbies.

But even good builders mostly work from building regs drawings or architects schedule......and Woodys advice is not to be sniffed at - even if you only get in an architectural technician to do a specification and schedule, it would clarify it, but you may still need a builder to understand the order of events.

If you posted some pics and say what stage you are at we could probably advise.....if it's an empty house having a refurb I cant see it being all that difficult.

Whereabouts in the country are you? Your problem is not knowing what you don't know.
Agreed. I don't know what I don't know especially when it comes to certain trades like electrics, plumbing

Should I continue trying to find the "multi skilled builder" so I can work with him and finish it using the trades and their mates that I've got and if so how should I do that do you think?

Anyone you were to find, would want to use people they know and feel comfortable with. It is very difficult to supervise a team when you don't know the team members or their abilities, basically your team. In any dispute or disagreement, members of your team would be bypassing this supervisor and going direct to you with their issues.

Cheers Notch for replying, yeah you're right I don't know what I don't know especially when it comes to certain trades like electrics, plumbing, they are the main two. I'm based near Colchester and Ipswich

Yes it takes ages to build up that network of reliable trusted subbies.
I am involve in construction -joinery manufacture, I visit sites quite often.

Customers who project manage a major project themselves.....get separate tradesmen in that dont know each other and there is no overall plan.

Ive just been involved in a house extension -where the extension is to be a separate dwelling. Went to get involve in fitting the kitchen to discover the new consumer was stuck in a top cupboard and may have to be moved and the incoming mains into where the kitchen sink will be .....hasnt been connected up to the house water system an dthe house is all plastered.

Anyone you were to find, would want to use people they know and feel comfortable with. It is very difficult to supervise a team when you don't know the team members or their abilities, basically your team. In any dispute or disagreement, members of your team would be bypassing this supervisor and going direct to you with their issues.
In theory it sounds easy but it can be different in practice

In theory it sounds easy but in practice I can see it's difficult getting it right. I wish I had more hands on building experience but my experience was/is only as a builders lad

Best get a company in to do it then, likely cheaper and less stressful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back