Seized Gate Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The big gate valve from the loft tank is seized, despite WD40 and as much force as I dare use. I have in the past with stubborn big nuts and bolts played a blow torch on them with success. However is there a rubber washer in the gate valve/stop cock which might melt if I used this method?

Sponsored Links
twas ever thus. the pox on them their gate valves ahaa jim lad.
nah blast a burner over it.
:oops:

Doubt you'd get it hot enough to free it with water in the tank. If the tank is drained you might as well remove the valve and attack it in a bench vice and / or replace it altogether.

loosen the gland, or at worse try to tighten first.

common problem when plumbers fully undo valves once installed, and dont re-tighten 1/8th of a turn.

David

Sponsored Links
You won't melt anything, but as the man sez it won't do much with water in the pipes.

Try water pump pliers on the shaft of the valve (not the handle), you can get better leverage then.

Alternatively, isolatecold feed to tank, drain it via bath & change valve.

Soggy_weetabix said:
loosen the gland, or at worse try to tighten first.

common problem when plumbers fully undo valves once installed, and dont re-tighten.............Close? 1/8th of a turn.

David
not proper plumbers like me:cool: then, are they :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back