selecting consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Q1 what size consumer unit for average semi?
Q2 say i require 20 fuseways, what is available?
Q3 say i require 200A c/u, what steps do i have to take ref the electric board?
Q4 how would i determine the ampage of an in-situ c/u?

Sponsored Links
A1 - 10-12 way, on average, plus a separate one for shower.
A2 - probably not much in the domestic-stylie ranges. You could use 2 smaller ones, one with RCD, one without.
A3 - get in touch with them
A4 - it'll be written on the main incomer

MK do insulated units up to 21 modules (less incomers) but you can stack two together (sizes 12, 16 and 21 module)

Don't forget that 21 modules (for example) means space for 21 modules-the number of "ways" depends upon how many incoming devices you are using (ie 21 module with 100A incomer=19 ways)

Personally, I would include the shower in the main unit.

A4 Or in the case of an older style unit, on the front cover.

Sponsored Links
Maybe an idea to go for two boards, one being RCD protected.....thats only if you think you need something of that size........

the largest Cu mk make is 21 module if you fit this out a split it will leave room for 17 mcbs

beyond that i think 2 CUs with henlys (one with rcd one without) is the best way to do

plug already said that...

Plus as I already said

You can get a linking kit and put 2 MK units together...no need for henleys

This is very true!

As was said in Monty Python's "The Meaning Of Life"

".....because he refuses to wear a little rubber thing on the end of his John Thomas......"

:LOL:

thank you all for your replies.
Q1 what is an incomer?the mains supply from the meter?
Q2 what precisely is a module as distinct from a fuseway?
Q3 are there any detailed pics of a c/u with annotations?

I'd say you have a pretty inapproachable lecturer if you don't know the answers to these questions......

1. The 100A DP isolating switch of a CU.

2. Not sure of the exact dimension (think it is 18mm, but you could measure it) but a module is the width of a standard mcb.A unit being 21 modules big means it has space for 21 individual modules. Everything that fits into a CU is described as being "x modules wide", so an mcb is one module wide, a DP incomer and rcd's are two modules wide, CH programmers are one or two depending on the design, bell transformers are 2 and time switches are three.

The term fuseway is really only used for fuseboxes as opposed to units employing mcb's. However, the term "way" is still used to denote how many mcb's a CU will accept.

3. Try the net.

note that some brands of rcd (get springs to mind) are 3 modules wide not 2

plugwash said:
note that some brands of rcd (get springs to mind) are 3 modules wide not 2

Plug, if they are single phase they will either be 1 or 2 modules wide, if they are 3 modules wide then they will be a three phase unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back