Self build garage/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on building a garage/workshop.
Anyone know of any free software to help with design ?
I know all the information I need is available on this forum, but would like to know if I can save a lot of time searching by using a some easy cad program.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The CAD software information is on the forum too, in this one and more recently in the General forum

Cheers.
As this will be a workshop as well as a garage, it needs to be damp proof and insulated. Is it possible to build it single skin block and render and it be damp proof ? Or will it have to be built with a cavity wall ?
I intend posting pictures of my progress.
I have put a picture of the site in my album.
//www.diynot.com/network/barcelona/albums/

Sponsored Links
Cheers.
Is it possible to build it single skin block and render and it be damp proof ?

Yes ... but as you want it insulated too, then it wont be a just a single skin

And you may also have condensation issues with a single or solid wall, so whilst it may resist penetrating damp, it will still appear 'damp' internally

Cheers.
Is it possible to build it single skin block and render and it be damp proof ?

Yes ... but as you want it insulated too, then it wont be a just a single skin

And you may also have condensation issues with a single or solid wall, so whilst it may resist penetrating damp, it will still appear 'damp' internally

Is it not possible to insulate the inside and ventilate the building keeping it single skin ? Like a loft conversion roof. I would prefer single skin due to size.
Also is £2500-£3000 budget realistic ? I will be doing most of the work myself. The roof will be tiled and insulated, also the floor slab insulated.
Floor space approx 3m x 5m.

If dry lining, then you would put a DPM up the wall first before the battens and insulation

And don't forget that you will probably need some piers in this wall too. So either accept a non-flush wall, or fit the dry lining between the piers and plasterboard over the lot to give a flush wall

Should i use visqueen under the battons as well as using foil backed foam boards, as ColJack suggests ?.

Thanks.

You generally need a DPM and a vapour barrier - they do different things.

If you are using silver faced insualtion (Celotex/Kingspan etc) then this is the vapour check so you don't need foil backed boards or a separate vapour check

Cheers for the advice. Here is my new workshop.
I cheated a little.

I would like to put a door on the side for convenience.
Anyone done this sort of thing ?
Any advice on best way to do it ?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back