Self-build garden office cost saving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of installing a garden office, about 10"x8". Posh sheds are around £4k with decent insulation and weather protection. However I'm quite handy so I'm keen to consider building my own. If we assume my time is free, just how much could I save by building my own from scratch? I'm a bit out of touch with the cost of raw materials these days so if there's no real saving to be had I'd probably just buy one in.

I'd source and modify plans from the net to make sure it was of sound construction If I made my own.

Thanks in advance for the advice everyon!

Sponsored Links
I would guess you could save maybe 20%

You'd be surprised at how much buildings of this type cost in materials alone and compared that to the savings a large company make buying wholesale. I would guess they buy the materials needed at something like 60% of what a normal tradseman would pay.

A good chunk of labour is in the groundworks so if you did that yourself it would save you money.

This is just my thoughts though, i've not looked into it.

you are probably going to pay more by 25-60% as they buy the wood by the shipload as said they get a far greater discount so materials around 40% off what you will pay
wastage will be absolute minimum as they can order the wood at the most economical lengths

they have production lines with jigs and the correct machinery for quick and easy mass production

Usually though if you build it yourself it will be to a higher standard, although probably over-engineered!

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. One of my concerns is structural life. There are posh sheds (see this example) which are around £4k. They seems quite solid, but only if you buy the expensive options (cedar cladding, mdf interior walls).

I was hoping I could make one myself, adapt some online plans for a solid garden office, buy in some windows and a door, put it up myself, and not only get something that suits my needs better (we need to have separate storage with access on the side for the lawnmower and bikes) but also save a few hundred in the process. I'm quite willing to put in the effort, so long as I can be sure it's worth it.

Sounds like I'll end up paying more simply due to the buying power of the big guys able to gain discounts. But I'm not keen on getting something that's 'only just to spec'.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Nice workshop big-all.

i didnt even consider a ready made shed a i wanted open doors in the eaves
i wanted off centre double doors to allow sheet material to slide along the wall flush
i also wanted "A" frames for the roof to give head hight but low walls
i have 6ft4 head room and 6ft walls this keeps the apex low at around 8ft 8ins
as i live in a terrace keeping the ridge hight unobtrusive was important

the shed is 10 this year and looks as good as those pictures a year or so after construction

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back