Self Build Large Timber Shed Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I currently have a 20'x12' shed and a 6'x6' shed at the end of my garden which are reaching the end of their lifespan and was contemplating building my own to replace.
The garden itself is 26' wide so was thinking of making a new one as wide as the garden as to get maximum space and i was thinking about making L shaped so it encompasses the smaller shed, this would probably create an L shape that is probably 26'x15' and around 20'x10' as an L shape. Pretty big really but i want to put a gym/office/studio in there as well as the garden bits and pieces.
Firstly, do i need planning permission for a timber shed this size? I won't be too high, just as high as other sheds (around 7' to 8').
Shed at the moment is very cold so this one would have insulation etc but would that make less cold? is it actually possible to make a decent office not cold?
Lee

Sponsored Links
You may need planning depending on the size of your garden. No more than half of the garden may be developed (this is the original footprint of the building when first built so old extensions etc all count into this 'half'

If you planning to spend real time in it working etc You really need to aim for a basic timber frame building rather than just a shed.

Sheds will typically be cladding direct onto studs and thats it. Ventilate it and hope for the best.

A timber frame building can be anywhere from cladding-battens-breather membrane-plywood skin- studs (filled with insulation)- membrane- plasterboard

To a more basic cladding- battens- breather membrane- studs (insulation optional) plywood sheeting.

Plan it really well working with standard sheet sizes and timbers work it all out on paper and cost it carefully. You may be very disheartened how much it all comes to compared to a prefabbed building you could buy. But at least at that point you can make a good judgement. Starting into it without having a solid idea of the final cost could be very soul crushing.

An insulated draughtproofed timber frame building should be plenty warm enough with basic background heating (electric oil filled heater etc)

You can build to a height of 2.4 meters total within 2 meters of the boundary of neighboring properties, i.e. right up to the boundary, this necessitates a flat roof. After 2 meters from the boundary you can build up to 2.4 meters eaves height with a sloping roof up to 4 meters total. You can only fill half of the original garden with buildings provided they are at the back or sides of the house.

Sponsored Links
david is very close
if its within 2metres off the boundary its 2.5m total height maximum
if its more than 2m its the higher limits its a duel limit depending on flat or apex roof regardless off construction method
you also need to keep the covered part off the garden around the house to less than 50% to avoid the need for planning this includes all garden buildings extensions and decking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back