Self charging hybrid...getting to know it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cruising along in my hybrid - as you do - it changes from electric drive (EV) to petrol engine as it pleases......sometimes the only way I can tell is by the sound of the engine and the EV lamp on the dash.
The transition between EV and petrol is absolutely seamless, so I'm wondering how this works.
After all, if the petrol engine is off, it has to spin from 0 to say 4500 RPM in an instant......or is the engine already spinning? There isn't a rev counter per se so I can't tell.
Any comments welcome!
Toyota Yaris Cross 1.5 - 62 MPG.
Have a good day everyone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
it depends really if there is no mechanical drive train the engine as a generator just charges the battery so any surge is to the battery so unnoticed

it depends really if there is no mechanical drive train the engine as a generator just charges the battery so any surge is to the battery so unnoticed
If the engine is running. They can run in full ev mode so no engine running.

As I Understand It this is a EV with a portable battery charger built in (the combustion engine) plus the engine/generator will supply more current to the electric motors when needed than the batteries alone could supply.

Sponsored Links
Comments are appreciated gents!
There is an energy distribution graphic on the dash which seems to indicate both petrol and electric power going to the front wheels when maximum boost is required - I guess that isn’t strictly true ( Rodders link).
Anyway, the power is there when needed......dashing across a busy dual carriageway for example the car shoots away, but within a few metres the petrol engine is running too.
The petrol engine also boosts performance when good acceleration is required. Works, too!
Bloomin clever, whichever way you look at it!
John

both petrol and electric power going to the front wheels when maximum boost is required - I guess that isn’t strictly true
It is true, according to a Youtube vid I saw (can't find if now). Two electric motor-generators (MG) plus the petrol engine are geared together using planetary gears. By varying the rotation direction and speed of the two MGs the result is a continuously-variable gear ratio. Ingenious.

So true........more like a flat cap and a nose dew drop perhaps?
Another pearl appeared on the dash the other day:
'Your are pressing the accelerator pedal. Continued use of this will increase your fuel consumption'.
Marvellous.
John :)

It's hard to penetrate the marketing hype from the manufacturers, sometimes. If it helps, the industry tends to split them into two categories - "series hybrids" and "parallel hybrids".

The first can only drive the wheels via the electric motor, and the ICE engine generates electricity to supply the electric powertrain, but isn't mechanically connected to the wheels in any way.

The second has a drivetrain whereby the ICE and / or the electric motor can drive the wheels directly.

for each of those those, you then get things like "mild" hybrids (not much electrical help), and "PHEVs" (Plug-in Hybdrid Electric Vehicles). These can be plugged into a charger, and can therefore do short trips without using their ICE.

Incidentally, they're older than you'd think! This thing, in 1896, was a parallel hybrid AND had regenerative braking!

20231005_155023s.jpg

Out of curiosity, John, is there any attempt by any providers to offer traing for EV repair to independent garages ? Given likely costs involved and relatively young fleet, I would doubt it, but thought I would take the opportunity to ask. Do any of your associates show any interest ?

Out of curiosity, John, is there any attempt by any providers to offer traing for EV repair to independent garages ? Given likely costs involved and relatively young fleet, I would doubt it, but thought I would take the opportunity to ask. Do any of your associates show any interest ?
We send our shop floor staff on some of these:

Sponsored Links
Back