Self close chains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a newly built apartment and there are chains on all of the internal fire doors which make them SLAM - fast and loud!!

Am I allowed to remove the chains or is this against building regulations?

I'm surprised these chains haven't been banned! They are lethal, my finger has been caught in the door once already, I can only imagine how many accidents children must have with these things!!

Ted

Sponsored Links
If the Building Regulations Approval of your dwelling deemed that closers were required in order to achieve compliance with the Regulations (which they probably did) then you are not lawfully allowed to remove them. You may also be breaching your Building Insurance and the terms of your lease in removing them.

They are a bit of a finger hazard and in the latest Regulations they are largely not required for dwellings for the exact reason to which you refer and that so many people such as yourself remove them. As mentioned though you do have them and they could save your life so remove them at yours and your families own risk. You may be able to adjust them slightly. I recall you can certainly get anti finger trap devices for the hinge sides not sure about the leading edges though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back