Door chain replacement, or repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has done this to her door chain, by accident, she must be as strong as an ox! I have removed it, because I wanted to try and find a maker's mark on there so that I could replace it, I cannot find anything, it's bare of any markings whatsoever - no BS standard or anything (which I might've expected to see?... nor can I find a matching door chain on the Internet.

The ones I've fitted before have all face-facing attachments, but this one attaches to the inside of the door frame, and then it juts out a little bit to avoid the door and the chain dangles from there. There's quite a big cut-out in the door frame itself, so I'm really looking for a matching replacement, rather than fitting a new door chain of the type you see when you Google "door chain".

Has this got a special name or something? Is it a one-off that may have been produced for the block of apartments she lives in? If I can't get a replacement, would it be possible to repair it - I have tried bending it back into shape using 2 pairs of pliers, but I'm (obviously) not as strong as she is!

If this is not supposed to be in General DIY please feel free to move it to where it's suited.

I'd appreciate any pointers. The image I've added is showing as I edit it, but not when I display the thread, weird... Picture Here!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It is! Thank you so much for that. Replacement it is... maybe I advise she buy 2 if she's breaking them!

Open link chain is useless as a security measure, as demonstrated by its failure.

Sponsored Links
Is there an alternative thingie I could use that would fit into the same gap... obviously, security considerations aside, there's aesthetic considerations too. This appears to be Yale... dunno why, but I thought that'd mean it was quite good.

Its a door chain, purely functional, what aesthetic considerations are there?

I had already stated it must be of the same type, so I don't leave a big gap where it was in the frame - that's an aesthetic consideration. So, I was curious, are you just criticising "open link chain" or are you suggesting an alternative?

This item itself seems to come in chrome and brass... so there's a choice of finish, which is another aesthetic consideration, quite obviously.

When you've got a security device that has failed, I have some difficulty with the concept of replacing it with an identical one just because it looks nice.

I buy such things to keep intruders out, not as ornaments.

Maybe it degraded, over time?

The new one coming has a 2 year guarantee... whatever that really means.

Aesthetics are more important than security in this scenario. The replacement must be the same size and fit in the same way... if it could be stronger then all the better, but I don't see anyone suggesting something that would be.

Your old one failed when the non-welded links opened.

I use a Chubb-branded one with welded links, it looks like the ERA branded one

It costs a few pounds more than the one that doesn't work.

But it doesn't match... that's kinda the whole point here... to obtain a matching one. That one pictured is for mounting on the face of the door and frame, right?

But it doesn't match... that's kinda the whole point here... to obtain a matching one. That one pictured is for mounting on the face of the door and frame, right?
Right , fill the hole left by the sub standard one , simple.

Yeah.

Prepare, fill, wait, sand, paint, wait... nah. I've ordered the replacement. The best approach, without a doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back