Self Cut Valves & a Rad.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to add an additional towel radiator into the bathroom. I was thinking about using a couple of self cutting valves to make the connections to the existing pipes.......is this a wise idea, are they reliable?

It's a system with a pressure tank, do I trust to the valves not to leak and watch as 1 Bar of dirty water sprays across the bathroom with no way of stopping it OR drain the system down and look for leaks on re-fill.

Regards

M

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not a good idea. Better to tee in properly.

Its a rubbish idea.

They are not designed for that use and will leak.

I agree that thy are rubbish, and you don't want to introduce bits of copper into the sysem - but why should hey leak? They are designed for mains pressure!

OP, best advice is to get it done properly = apart from anything else, your idea will look crarp and very amateurish

The seals are probably not rated for prolonged use at high temps.

The little hole made by the self cutting thingy will be tiny so the heat output would be pants too.

Ok! I guess that makes sense..... The rubber gasket may not be suitable for long term rad temp.

I normally solder the piping together and make the connection to the existing piping with compression joints......Sensible??

One last question, the towel rad I'm adding is marked one side 'AR', I'm assuming that this is the radiator return.......Is that right and what does the 'A' stand for?

m

Ok! I guess that makes sense..... The rubber gasket may not be suitable for long term rad temp.

I normally solder the piping together and make the connection to the existing piping with compression joints......Sensible??

One last question, the towel rad I'm adding is marked one side 'AR', I'm assuming that this is the radiator return.......Is that right and what does the 'A' stand for?

m
You can use either side of a radiator as a return/flow. I would advise just to fit lockshield valves to the towel radiator as it will keep it nice and hot. You could use compression joints to tee into the system shouldn't be a problem.
Rob

Its a rubbish idea.

They are not designed for that use and will leak.

I agree that thy are rubbish, and you don't want to introduce bits of copper into the sysem - but why should hey leak? They are designed for mains pressure!

OP, best advice is to get it done properly = apart from anything else, your idea will look crarp and very amateurish

Well the crappy garden tap "kit" that a customer supplied me with had to go
straight into the bin when it wouldn't seal properly. That was mains pressure too.

If got two valves as part of the fixings for the rad.

In the past I have tended to use compression fittings for the final connection, due to the difficulty of drying/cleaning and soldering to previously wet pipes in a confined space........I much prefer to solder, and I always find initially that compression fittings weep....probably coz I don't give them too much welly as I tend to be a bit heavy handed!

If got two valves as part of the fixings for the rad.

In the past I have tended to use compression fittings for the final connection, due to the difficulty of drying/cleaning and soldering to previously wet pipes in a confined space........I much prefer to solder, and I always find initially that compression fittings weep....probably coz I don't give them too much welly as I tend to be a bit heavy handed!
If its a towel rad you shouldn't have a problem draining down the system and making sure there is no water in the pipe work unless it's a basement.
And yes sorry Dan, I ment bypass my silly mistake!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back